Other Students Music Video

Analysing a student music video from Youtube. 

Stressed Out- Student Music Video

  1. Mise-en-Scene 
I think that the locations and the filming is good as there are a lot of different angles, location and shots. However it doesn't feel as tough they have really thought out what they are really filming. For example there are shot of things like park benches. I don't feel as though there isn't lots of understanding about the narrative behind the video. I don't feel like there is a specific meaning or signified meanings behind the video. From seeing the video there isn't any particular connotations from the video specifically. I don't feel as their clothing has been considered well as I don’t see any specific reason for why they are wearing what they are wearing. 
  1. Sound
Throughout the Piece there isn't any dietetic music or sounds. This is typical for a music video as they wouldn't sing the song in their music video normally. The whole music video is non-diegetic music as the students in the video are lip syncing to the backing track of twenty one pilots.  
  1. Camera Angles 
In regards to Camera angles I don’t think they have fully thought about what they want to shoot and why they want to shoot it. The camera angles are good as there is various different shots however they don't have very good stability. A few of the shots are shaky and unstable. Another problem with the camera is they they have just shot things that don't have an significance and/or meaning to the song and video. 
  1. Narrative/Performance
From watching the whole piece I don't feel as though this has any narrative at all due to the fragmented shots and random shot of objects. I didn't understand why there were three characters in the story but two were wearing the same outfit. Nothing within the music video made sense in regards to why objects and people were there. 
  1. Editing 

I think the editing between shots is good but I don't think the lip syncing was good at all due to the lip syncing only being in time for about 10 seconds of it. The editing between the song and the footage could have been matched up a little better than it is. I feel with a music video lip syncing is a very very important part of the music video as it is the music that you are trying to show off.

This is going to help me when creating my own music video as I will be able to use the knowledge and the information i have found when researching into this and apply it when creating my own video. Another benefit to completing this task is that I am able to see what works and what doesn't works in regards to certain elements of the music video for example; The lip syncing not being the best it could be, or that they have used a broad enough range of locations when shooting e.c.t. However, This will also enable me to see what I can gain inspiration from and see what worshippers within the music video and apply the same type of knowledge to my own music video.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge of Music Videos

Plans for Digipak

Music Video Target Audiences